In the past, the Kentucky Derby was operating on a system that meant no one knew which horses would run in the race until the week before it happened. Now, a tournament bracket system is in effect, and this means that bettors have an edge on 2013 Kentucky Derby favorites in advance. A month before the race, about 30 horses have risen to the top of the ranks. While it is not set in stone, the possibility that 20 of these horses will make the cut for the big race is high.
Naturally, when it is time to place your Kentucky Derby bet, this website is here to help. Whether you need to understand gambling, how to place a bet online, or need a complete list of Kentucky Derby contenders, we are here to get you started.
The Last Leg of the Prep Race season
The most prestigious races of the Kentucky Derby prep race season occur in the six weeks before it begins. Although the first prep races were in September 2012, the number of points awarded to these winners was low. However, each of the winners from the last six weeks of racing before the Kentucky Derby will be awarded 100 points for first place, 40 for second, 20 for third and 10 for fourth place.
The final races for the 2012-2013 Kentucky Derby prep race season are:
- March 30 – Florida Derby
- March 30 – UAE Derby
- March 30 – Louisiana Derby
- April 6 – Wood Memorial
- April 6 – Santa Anita Derby
- April 13 – Arkansas Derby
- April 13 – Bluegrass Stakes
Keep in mind that there are also two final Wild Card races that close the Kentucky Derby prep race season. Horses that win that race will be given 20 points for first place, eight for second place, four for third place, and two points for fourth place.
The 2013 Wild Card Kentucky Derby races will take place on:
- April 20 – Lexington Stakes
- April 27 – Derby Trial
Top 35 Kentucky Derby point earners
The Kentucky Derby tournament bracket system makes spotting the winners much easier. So far, the Kentucky Derby has ramped several stars into the spotlight along with their trainers and jockeys. Obviously, some of these contenders, trainers, and jockeys are mentioned repeatedly — hinting at their prominence in the horse racing world. Of course, each step of the way, we will be here to provide you with helpful advice about placing Kentucky Derby bets, selecting the right horses, and setting up your first online wagering account complete with our exclusive sign-on bonuses.
As of March 31, 2013, the following horses have accumulated the most points:
1. Orb: 150 points, Shug McGaughey (trainer), John Velazquez (jockey)
2. Revolutionary: 110, Todd Pletcher, Ramon Dominguez
3. Lines of Battle: 100, Aiden O’Brien
4. Will Take Charge: 60, D. Wayne Lukas, Jon Court
5. Itsmyluckyday: 50, Edward Plesa Jr., Paco Lopez
6. Vyjack: 50, Rudy Rodriguez, Cornelio Velasquez
7. Governor Charlie: 50, Bob Baffert
8. Black Onyx: 50, Kelly Breen
9. Verrazano: 50, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez
10. Hear The Ghost: 50, Jerry Hollendorfer, Corey Nakatani
11. Mylute: 42, Tom Amoss
12. Oxbow: 36, D. Wayne Lukas, Jon Court
13. Uncaptured: 30, Mark Casse, Miguel Mena
14. Flashback: 30, Bob Baffert, Julien Leparoux
15. Goldencents: 29, Doug O’Neill, Kevin Krigger
16. Shanghai Bobby: 24, Todd Pletcher, Rosie Napravnik
17. Java’s War : 22, Kenny McPeek, Willie Martinez
18. Merit Man: 20, Bob Hess, Jr.
19. Den’s Legacy: 20, Bob Baffert, Garrett Gomez
20. Falling Sky: 20, John Terranova, Jose Espinoza
21. Departing: 20, Al Stall, Jr.
22. Code West : 20, Bob Baffert, Martin Garcia
23. West Hills Giant: 20, John Terranova, Jose Espinoza
24. Golden Soul: 14, Dallas Stewart
25. Dynamic Sky: 13, Mark Casse, Luis Contreras
26. Speak Logistics: 11, Joel Rosario, Eddie Plesa Jr.
27. Overanalyze: 10, Todd Pletcher, Ramon Dominguez
28. Super Ninety Nine: 10, Bob Baffert, Rafael Bejarano
29. Power Broker: 10, Bob Baffert, Rafael Bejarano
30. Abraham: 10, Todd Pletcher
31. Giant Finish: 10, Tony Dutrow
32. Palace Malice: 10, Todd Pletcher, Rosie Napravnik
33. Elnaawi: 10, Kiaran McLaughlin, Channing Hill
34. Tiz A Minister: 10, Paul Aguirre, Garrett Gomez
35. Texas Bling: 9, Danele Durham